DHFLA recognizes that individuals with special needs and their families also have special financial needs. We provide interest-free loans of up to $7,500 to assist in addressing some of these needs.
A special needs DHFLA loan is initiated through Jewish Family Services (JFS) when applying for an assessment or counseling services. If assistance is needed with the cost of these services, JFS will introduce this type of loan and will send basic information after a consent form has been signed. The individual then works with DHFLA. This one loan may cover other special need costs assessment as well as counseling and other services.
Rules & Guidelines:
Loan Category: General Assistance, unless there is verifiable medical need, then Healthcare** Loan
- Maximum amount is $7,500.
- Maximum term is five years, repayable monthly
- Must be guaranteed by two qualified individuals
- Borrower must be Jewish and be at least 18 years old; if non-Jewish spouse, they will be the third guarantor
- Borrower must qualify as a Dallas area resident as defined by the By-Laws
- All other borrower /guarantor requirements must be met.
- DHFLA will work with qualified accredited agencies, such as Jewish Family Services (JFS) to establish verification and referral protocols.
- Applicants must be referred by a board-approved accredited agency.
- At the time of the loan, Borrower must be actively involved in support counseling, support services or therapy. As DHFLA is not qualified to provide or monitor verification, DHFLA will request information certifying such active involvement from the referring approved qualified accredited partner agencies.
Examples of Eligible Special Needs:
- Diagnostic evaluations not fully covered by insurance
- Specialized behavioral intervention, speech and occupational therapies and psychiatric care
- Children may require a “shadow” at school, and other such services, which are not provided by the schools
- Children may require home-based services to deal with neurological and behavioral issues
- Families with a member or child diagnosed with serious diseases or conditions may need extra assistance not covered by insurance.
- Other such services as these families may require for their specific situations, as described by the referring qualified, accredited agencies.
The Borrower is expected to pay off the note within sixty (60) months in equal monthly installments, starting within one month after receiving the loan. The specific terms will be determined by the Loan Committee upon approval of the loan and will be specifically stated in the Promissory Note.
- The borrower must complete a) his or her portion of the DHFLA loan application in detail and b) sign the promissory note (if married the spouse is considered an additional guarantor). The specific terms of the promissory note (commencement date and payment amounts) must be left blank and will be filled in by DHFLA at the time the loan is approved. Complete and sign the ACH authorization letter.
- Guarantors must complete their portion and sign the guaranty agreement and the guarantor’s Information Release Authorization form. Note: Original signed documents are required, no faxes or emails are accepted.
- Submit completed application by email to email@example.com or mail to DHFLA, PO Box 671235, Dallas, TX 75367-1235. Applicant will be contacted for a personal interview.