Rules & Guidelines:
- Each applicant may borrow up to $3,000.00 per school semester (Fall & Spring). The maximum number of semesters for which loans are available is eight.
- Each loan application must contain the following supporting documentation: a) official class schedule, b) official school listing of your gross tuition, book, and school related fees (excluding fraternities or sororities), c) the cost of living on or off campus and d) your Student Aid Report (SAR) from the FAFSA.
- Loan specific borrower and guarantor qualifications
- Borrower may be a single person or a couple. If a couple, the borrower must be the Jewish spouse. If married the spouse is considered an additional guarantor.
- A minimum of two (2) qualified guarantors are required for all education loans. Parents of all applicants may guarantee their child’s loan. One additional qualified guarantor (non-parental) is also be required.
- Additional guarantors may be required should the DHFLA Loan Committee deem it necessary.
- Guarantors cannot reside at the same address as the borrower or any other guarantor (parents and/or spouses are exempt from this clause).
- Once the initial loan is approved, the borrower must resubmit all supporting documentation (see #2 above) for each semester they are enrolled in school whether or not they are requesting any additional loan amounts.
- Student must maintain a 2.50 G.P.A. and supply proof of this each semester before subsequent loans will be granted.
The borrower is expected to begin repayment 30 days after obtaining the loan.
- While attending school, the monthly payment is $75.00.
- Beginning six months after the student graduates and/or leaves school, or six months after completion of the semester during which the 8th loan check is received (whether of not you have graduated), the loan repayment amount increases to $250.00 per month or 1/66 of the remaining loan balance (whichever is greater.)
Processing Steps to Follow:
- The borrower must complete a) their portion of the student loan application in detail and b) sign the promissory note (if married their spouse is considered an additional guarantor). The specific terms of the promissory note (commencement date and payment amounts) must be left blank and will be filled in by DHFLA at the time the loan is approved.
- Guarantors must complete their portion and sign the guaranty agreement, and the guarantor’s information release authorization form. Note: original signed documents are required, no faxes or emails are accepted.
- Once the application has been completed, the borrower may deliver or mail the application to the DHFLA office. The borrower will be contacted for a personal interview.